UNILEAD South East Asia 2020 is targeting higher education managers from developing countries. The two key criteria are:
- Applicants have been holding a university management position with managerial and personnel responsibilities no longer than 4 years in one of the following fields:
o Managers of central university departments (Planning, Quality Management, Human Resources, Continuing Education; excluding academic units such as Deans, Vice Deans, Head of
o Task force managers for university reform projects.
o Managers of staff development units or programmes.
- Active and excellent English language skills (speaking and writing) are indispensable. Phone
interviews will be organised with short listed candidates to guarantee the requested proficiency.
Further criteria are:
- Applicants are university leaders preferably between 30 and 45 years.
- Applicants hold at least a Master’s degree.
- The provision of international experience will be highly regarded.
Participants from higher education institutions of the following countries are eligible to apply:
- Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Application Requirements and Process
Applications can be submitted via the online application form on the UNILEAD-website at
Strict closing date of the application is March 17th, 2020, 11:59 am Central European Winter Time.
Following information and documents are requirements for an application:
- Application Form including a clear practice-oriented Project Proposal – using the online-form provided on the website.
- Letter of Motivation including date and signature – uploaded to online-application form as pdf-file.
- Letter of Recommendation from university top management (President/Rector or ViceChancellor/Vice-Rector of the university) including date and signature in which the managerial qualifications and leadership competencies, the future potential of the candidate is described and emphasized – uploaded to online-application form as pdf-file.
- Proof of excellent English proficiency (e.g. TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate) will be an asset (pdf-file).
The Selection Committee composed of high profile higher education management experts meets in beginning of April 2020.
The selection criteria are based on the following points:
- Personal profile match
- Motivation letter
- Description of reform project
- Recommendation of university’s top management
The selected candidates will be informed about the results of the selection meeting end of April 2020.
The costs for this training course will be mainly covered by funds of the DAAD provided by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Following expenses will be covered:
- Course costs UNILEAD approx. EUR 5.500.
- Travel costs: Flights to and from Malaysia/Thailand (Economy class). We kindly ask the participants to make their own travel arrangements – they will then be reimbursed in cash upon their arrival.
- Accommodation (including breakfast).
- Welcome and Leaving Dinners at the two contact phases. Participants will be additionally receiving light lunches and coffee breaks during the contact phases.
Expected co-funding: Participants’ home institutions are expected to contribute to the course costs by paying a one-time fee of EUR 300,00.
In addition, local transportation in the participants’ home countries, visa costs and possible additional per diems for the stay have to be covered by the participants and/or their home institution.
Further details on terms and conditions will be given to the admitted applicants together with the invitation letter.
Contact details of Programme Management
Ms Christine Vajna
Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg
Dept. of Continuing Education and Education Management (we.b)